Light Therapy III
Happiness and economy
– Reversing the Question: Does Happiness Affect Individual Economic Behaviour? Evidence from Survey Data from Netherlands
Happiness and Climate
– Do Colder and Hotter Climates make Richer Societies more and Poorer Societies less Happy and Altruistic?
Happiness and society
People associate lighting conditions with warmer color temperature with more social situations
– Biner, P. M., Butler, D. L., Fischer, A. R., & Westergren, A. J. (1989). An arousal optimization model of lighting level preferences: An interaction of social situation and task demands. Environment and Behavior, 21, 3-16.
– Butler, D. L., & Biner, P. M. (1987). Preferred lighting levels: Variability among settings, behaviors, and individuals.Environment and Behavior, 19, 695-721.
– Flynn, J. E. (1977). A study of subjective responses to low energy and nonuniform lighting systems. Lighting Design and Application, 7, 6-15
Physical warmth correlates with warm and social interactions
– IJzerman, H., & Semin, G. R. (2009). The thermometer of social relations: mapping social proximity on temperature.Psychological Science, 20, 1214-1220
– Zhong, C.-B., & Leonardelli, G.J. (2008). Cold and lonely: Does social exclusion literally feel cold? Psychological Science, 19, 838–842.
– Williams, L.E., & Bargh, J.A. (2008). Experiencing physical warmth promotes interpersonal warmth. Science, 322, 606–607.
Wirz-Justice, F. Benedetti, and M. Terman.Chronotherapeutics for Affective Disorders : A Clinician’s Manual for Light and Wake Therapy, Basel:Karger, 2009.
Mehta and R. J. Zhu. Blue or Red? Exploring the Effects of Color on Cognitive Task Performances. Science 323 (5918):1226-1229, 2009.
Bradley, M. M., Lang, P. J.. Measuring emotion: The self-assessment manikin and the semantic differential. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 25, 49-59, 1994.
Monk, T. H. A Visual Analogue Scale Technique to Measure Global Vigor and Affect. Psychiatry Research, 27, 89-99, 1988.
Partonen, T., Lonnqvist, J. Bright light improves vitality and alleviates distress in healthy people. Journal of Affective Disorders, 57, 55-61, 2000.